Nose Surgery – Rhinoplasty
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Serving Manhattan, New York City & Nearby NY
Nose surgery, or rhinoplasty, can reshape your nose, helping you achieve a more balanced and symmetrical facial appearance. It can also correct structural issues with your nose that make it difficult for you to breathe.
For personalized recommendations from double board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Joshua Hyman, call 212-517-5157 to schedule your complimentary rhinoplasty consultation in Manhattan.
Dr. Hyman understands that everyone has a unique aesthetic and takes special care to understand and achieve your desired outcome. He pairs his commitment to patient satisfaction with his knowledge and experience to consistently meet and exceed his patients’ expectations.
What can Rhinoplasty Treat?
Rhinoplasty can address cosmetic and functional issues with your nose. You may choose to have nose surgery for cosmetic or medical concerns only, or you may have goals for both improving breathing and changing your look.
Cosmetic rhinoplasty can reshape your nose by:
- Increasing size
- Decreasing size
- Reshaping a tip that is too small, too large, droopy, or too wide
- Reshaping a crooked or bent bridge
- Reducing nostril span
- Increasing nostril span
- Creating a different angle between the upper lip and nose
- Improving symmetry
Difficulty breathing, sleep apnea, and snoring may be a result of structural defects with your nose. You may have been born with narrow or crooked nasal passages, you may have suffered an injury to your nose, or age may cause your nasal valves to collapse. In many cases, these conditions can be resolved with nose surgery.
Functional rhinoplasty may involve:
- Increasing the width of your nasal passages
- Reshaping or repositioning cartilage
- Correcting a deviated septum
Am I a Candidate for Rhinoplasty?
If you are dissatisfied with your nose and meet a few basic health and lifestyle qualifications, you may be a good rhinoplasty candidate. Dr. Hyman can determine if you are a good candidate by doing a facial exam and reviewing your medical history in your free consultation. In general, nose surgery candidates should:
- Have a fully developed nose – Cosmetic concerns with your nose can resolve themselves as your nose naturally develops. The nose is usually fully matured around age 14 for girls and age 16 for boys.
- Have realistic expectations – Your goal for treatment should be to enhance your look, rather than become a copy of someone else.
- Be physically healthy – This includes the absence of any conditions that impede your body’s healing process.
- Be a non-smoker or committed to abstaining for an extended period of time – Smoking can interfere with your ability to heal from the surgery, so you would need to quit smoking before surgery and for the entirety of your recovery.
Complimentary Initial Consultation
In this free consultation, you and Dr. Hyman will discuss your goals for treatment. He will also review your medical history and assess your facial structure in order to determine if rhinoplasty is the best facial plastic surgery option for you.
Your rhinoplasty procedure will be customized based on your anatomy and desired results. You and Dr. Hyman will discuss whether sedation or general anesthesia is best to keep you comfortable during the procedure. Depending on your desired outcome, Dr. Hyman will perform an open or closed rhinoplasty.
- Open rhinoplasty – One incision is made externally in the tissue that separates your nostrils.
- Closed rhinoplasty – Incisions are made inside the nostrils.
Once the incision is made, Dr. Hyman will separate the skin from the cartilage and bone so he can reshape the framework of your nose. Lastly, the skin and tissue is re-positioned and incisions are closed.
Dr. Hyman will place a splint to support and protect your nose. You may need to have packing in your nostrils for the duration of the day after surgery.
Nose surgery takes about two hours, and you will be able to go home the same day. Plan to have a friend or loved one drive you home after the procedure.
What to Expect after Rhinoplasty
In the first week after surgery, it is common to have some bruising and swelling around the eyes. You can apply cold compresses per Dr. Hyman’s instructions to reduce these symptoms. Intense physical activities should be avoided for at least one week. Most patients can return to work after one week, with the exception of those with physically demanding job requirements.
You will also have swelling of the nose that will gradually decrease as the bones of your nose heal. It takes about six weeks for the bones to heal completely, so take care to protect your nose from force or jarring during this time.
Scar tissue will soften over the next several months. You can expect to enjoy your final results after about one year.
Schedule Your Complimentary Nose Surgery Consultation in New York City
To find out if rhinoplasty can help you look and feel your best, call us at 212-517-5157 to schedule your free consultation with Dr. Hyman. Our state-of-the-art office is located in Manhattan, and we proudly serve patients in the greater New York City area.