Fat Transfer (Fat Grafting)
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Serving Manhattan, New York City & Nearby NY
Fat transfer, or fat grafting, is a method of augmenting breasts, buttocks, or facial features without using implants. In a fat transfer procedure, fat is removed from one area of the body, processed, and then injected where you want to increase volume. The combined effect of fat removal and augmentation can create shapely, beautiful body contours.
Dr. Joshua B. Hyman is a double board-certified plastic surgeon who performs fat transfer and other body contouring procedures in his state-of-the-art, accredited Manhattan facility. Schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Hyman to find out if fat transfer is right for you.
What can Fat Transfer Treat?
Fat transfer can be used to augment specific areas of the body to create curves or restore a more youthful appearance. You can achieve beautiful results with a fat transfer procedure in the following areas:
- Breasts – Fat transfer can be used to augment your breasts without the use of implants. This method of breast augmentation involves minimal scarring and natural looking results.
- Buttocks (Brazilian butt lift) – If conventional fitness and diet strategies have not helped you achieve a rounder, more prominent backside, fat transfer can be used to augment your buttocks and contour the body. This procedure is referred to as the Brazilian butt lift.
- Facial features – Fat can be transferred to the face to fill sunken cheeks, marionette lines, nasolabial folds, tear troughs, and wrinkles.
How Does Fat Transfer Work?
Fat transfer procedures remove fat from one part of your body and add the extracted fat to the area of the body that you want to enhance. The procedure has five steps:
- Anesthesia – You will be given a local anesthetic, IV anesthesia, or general anesthesia at the beginning of your procedure. You and Dr. Hyman will discuss the best type of anesthesia for your procedure. For small volumes of fat extraction, a local anesthetic may be sufficient. For larger volumes of fat extraction, sedation via IV or general anesthesia is recommended.
- Liposuction – Fat will be extracted from your predetermined donor site via liposuction. Common donor sites include the abdomen, hips, and thighs. Traditional liposuction is used over ultrasonic or laser variations to best preserve the extracted fat cells.
- Purification – In order for the fat transfer to be successful, the extracted fat cells must be cleansed and processed. Decanting and centrifugation are necessary to remove dead cells, unnecessary fluid, and any other debris. This process separates out components that could interfere with a successful fat transfer procedure.
- Fat injection – The purified fat is injected in small amounts throughout the area you want to augment.
- Recovery – Your recovery time will depend on your treatment and your body’s unique healing process. In general, you can expect to take a week or two off work, and you will have some activity restrictions while you heal. Dr. Hyman will provide personalized instructions for your recovery and monitor your progress.
Am I a Candidate for a Fat Transfer Procedure?
Dr. Hyman considers multiple factors to determine if you are a good candidate for a fat transfer procedure. In general, ideal candidates:
- Are in good overall health.
- Have excess fat in an easily accessible part of the body.
- Are non-smokers or willing to quit for an extended period of time before the procedure and throughout recovery.
- Are free of health conditions that interfere with the body’s ability to heal.
- Have realistic expectations.
If you do not have adequate fat for extraction, Dr. Hyman may recommend dermal fillers or implants to achieve increased volume and enhance your features.
Call Us to Schedule your Complimentary Consultation
Dr. Hyman has the skill and aesthetic eye to deliver natural-looking results using fat transfer. Find out how this cosmetic procedure can help you achieve the look you want by scheduling your free consultation with Dr. Hyman. Contact us at 646-603-0579. We serve patients in the greater New York City area, including Manhattan.